Recent Water Damage Posts
Know the Facts: US & Ohio Water Damage Stats
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's water damage restoration needs!
It's no secret that April showers are the start of Ohio's rainy season. Despite the name, April is only the 4th rainiest month in Ohio, with May, June, and the rainiest, July rounding out the top three.
As we work our way through the wet season, it's important to understand the facts of water and storm damage.
National Water Damage Facts & Stats
- 14,000 people in the US are affected by water damage every day.
- The average insurance claim to repair a water damaged home is $11,605.
- 99% of US counties experienced a flood from 1996-2019.
- 98% of US homes will experience water damage in their basements at least once.
- Even the smallest leak can increase the average water bill by 10%.
- In 2020, almost 20% of home insurance claims were due to water damage and freezing.
Ohio Water Damage Facts & Stats
- In Ohio, 540,863 properties have more than a 26% chance of being affected by severe flooding in the next 30 years.
- In 2021, at least 142 people died in flooding incidents, 64 of which were driving.
Water damage, whether it be from flooding or a storm, can be a difficult process to deal with. Luckily, SERVPRO of Toledo East is equipped to handle all of your water damage restoration needs! From the drying process to reconstruction, we work with all insurances to get your home or business looking "like it never even happened."
Staying Safe in a Storm and Avoiding Water Damage
We have experienced quite the rainy and stormy summer so far, and with these storms comes a risk of personal and property damage. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe during a storm is the top priority, so here are a few tips to help you for the rest of the summer:
- Remain indoors. This can be inside your home or the home of a neighbor if need be. If you are outdoors, seek shelter at a local business, or a public restroom. Public restrooms in parks are typically built to be storm proof. Should there be no other options, sheltering in your car should keep you safe and dry as you wait out the storm.
- Stay away from windows. The safest place to be during a storm is a basement. If your house doesn’t have a basement, bathrooms are a good choice as well.
- Try to stay away from appliances. Avoid showering or talking on a wired phone during a storm. Lightening can travel through plumbing fixtures or home wiring, so avoid using your washer and dryer during a storm. Lightening strikes can cause those appliances to short and catch fire.
- Once the storm has passed, be cautious when walking around, especially outside. Be alert for down power lines and tree branches. If you smell gas, be sure to contact authorities immediately.
Storms can be scary to witness, but following these steps can help to put your mind at ease during the next one. If you find that a storm has caused damage, feel free to call SERVPRO of Toledo East today and let the experts take care of it!
Contact us today! 419-495-5220
How You React to Rain Matters
Whether you love to fall asleep to the sounds of dripping rain and low thunder, or you cower under the table with your four-legged friend during a storm, it is always important to be prepared for any damages that may come with severe weather. After a storm, always check and make sure that your property is unharmed and water isn’t where it shouldn’t be. Untreated water damage or flooding could lead to mold.
What To Look For
- Standing water in the basement, attic, garage, or anywhere else it shouldn’t be
- Discoloration or water stains on the walls or ceilings
- Musty odors in the building
Water itself can cause foul smells and wood to rot, and it can cause mold to grow. Mold can cause serious structural damage, as well as negative health effects. If you have mold growing, you need to act fast for the sake of your customers, and your business.
What Can I Do About It?
Pick up the phone and call us! When you call SERVPRO of Toledo East,you can rest assured knowing our experts will act quickly, taking a methodical and systematic approach to identify your problem and eliminate it from your building as quickly as possible.
Remember, the longer you wait, the more damage that could be happening to your property. Make sure you give SERVPRO of Toledo East a call and let us get down to our business. That way, you can get back to yours knowing your building is safe, dry, and mold free.
Contact us today at 419-495-5220
Water Damage Prevention in Just Three Steps
Dealing with water damage is a pain staking process, from the time it takes, the cost, and the hassles of dealing with insurance. We can all agree that it is much easier to take the steps to prevent water damage than to deal with the damage after the fact. If you have already suffered water damage in your home, the best thing to do is call the professionals at SERVPRO of Toledo East. If you haven’t experienced water damage, take these three precautionary steps to avoid this stressor!
- Learn Where Your Shut Off Valve Is
You and everyone living in your household should know where the water shutoff valve is. This way, if something goes wrong, anyone can quickly turn off the water and prevent too much damage.
- Regularly Check for Leaks
Leaky taps may seem like a small amount of water with their methodical dripping, but they can leak up to eight gallons a day. That can become expensive very quickly, and it will also cause significant water damage to your home. Water damage like this can lead to mold. Every few weeks, it is important to check around sinks and appliances for leaking pipes or standing water.
- Check Your Roof
The easiest way for you to see if you’re suffering from a leaky roof is to go into your attic as it rains and shine a flashlight at the ceiling. Shiny spots indict a leaky roof. If you find a shiny spot, make sure to mark the area. It is best to contact an expert to come make repairs. You would not want to incorrectly work on your roof as this may risk injury or further damage.
Remember, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. And it’s cheaper, too. But, if you need water damage mitigation be sure to call SERVPRO of Toledo East!
Dry, Clean and Store Your Property After a Flood!
Get it removed, sorted, dried and stored be SERVPRO of Toledo East
A flooded company means much more than just sopping up water for business owners. Your commercial building in Northeast Ohio has furniture, drapery, electronics, doors, trim and other structural elements that can be greatly damaged by water. All of these things are important and represent an investment. The first inclination may be to toss everything, but some of your assets are salvageable. The Professionals at SERVPRO of Toledo East are here to help.
Dry and Sort
If a broken pipe is the culprit, you can have a little peace of mind that you don’t have to deal with the potential black water that comes with flooding. There is still the possibility that mold has begun to spread, so it is important to get everything affected by the water thoroughly dried out. Once you have completed this process, inspect and sort everything to determine what can be salvaged. Items that will likely need to be thrown out include any porous materials that can’t be dried or cleaned and fabrics that show signs of discoloration.
Clean the Damage
When faced with a flooded company, having your investments sorted will allow for a better understanding of the actual damage. Along with cleaning some things yourself, remember that dry cleaning is not just for clothes. Furniture, upholstery and draperies can likely be good as new after the services of dry cleaners. When it comes to the rest, considering the following tips to make the process easier:
Organize items based on cleaning methods, such as hand or machine washing. Use a disinfectant on furniture, walls and floors to prevent mold growth.
Wash items in the hottest water possible to remove potential contaminants. Use a professional water damage restoration service to ensure there is no interior damage to specialized items such as electronics.
A flooded company is a hassle, but it doesn’t have to result in a long-lasting impact on your business. Quick action, proper cleaning and the help of specialists can make it seem “Like it never even happened." Water Everywhere?
Fixing Leaky Pipes in Your Toledo Home
If you need water damage clean up in Toledo, call SERVPRO of East today!
It’s no secret that water damage is bad, not only can it cost a lot of money to fix if left unmitigated, but it can also lead to the growth of molds, which can cause health effects. Mold needs water to grow and can grow quickly if things like leaks and water damage aren’t fixed quickly, and that’s why it’s important to check for leaky pipes, and if you find one, it’s important to know how to fix it.
- The first thing you can do when fixing a leaky pipe is see where the water is coming from. If it’s coming from a loose coupling nut (the thing that holds pipes together), then it’s pretty easy to grab a wrench and tighten the nut, fixing your leak.
- If the leak is caused by a crack in the pipe itself, you will need to use either plumber’s tape, self-fusing silicone tape, or epoxy putty to fix it. These are easy to apply, just make sure the water is turned off then wrap the pipe if you’re using tape, or just apply putty to the pipe and give it some time to dry.
After fixing the pipe, make sure to clean up any standing water, and check back every day or every few days to make sure there is no more water or leaking.
If you’ve had water damage or mold growth due to a leaky pipe, call SERVPRO of Toledo East and our professionals with take care of everything.
Get That Water Where it Belongs!
Water damage occurs when excess water begins to pool in areas where it shouldn’t. Many different factors can create this excess water and thereby contribute to water damage.
When you are aware of the potential causes, you can take precautionary measures to help insure against a leak or flood. You will also be able to spot a problem as soon as it arises and nip it in the bud before it has a chance to cause any additional damage.
The more quickly you notice the problem, the less work the water extraction and water damage restoration company will have to fix.
Causes of water damage include:
- Bursting or leaking pipes
- Issues with the plumbing system
- Hot water tank
- Buildup in areas prone to collecting water, such as crawl spaces, attics and basements
- Faulty or malfunctioning household appliances
- HVACs (Heating, ventilating and air conditioning units) issues
- Natural disasters and other weather-related water problems
No matter what the issue, you can call the experts at SERVPRO of Toledo East at 419-691-6550 to make it look "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Toledo East is Ready 24/7
Don't let your Toledo property get damaged! Call us today for water damage repair near you!
SERVPRO of Toledo East is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Toledo East has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Toledo East
SERVPRO of Toledo East specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.