Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Can Feel Hopeless
It can feel like the end of the world when a fire occurs. It may feel like you've lost everything, but we're here to assure you that you haven't. It is important after a fire to keep calm, as hard as that may seem. We're here to help assess the damages and salvage whatever we can to lessen your loss. There are a few things you can do after a fire, but make sure you call us to handle the bulk of your damages. We will restore your home and your belongings to make it look like your disaster never even happened.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (419) 691-6550
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.